Just like the Superbowl game itself, the adverts have a reputation all of their own. Breathlessly awaited, some have even risen above the match to leave their own imprint (http://www.cnbc.com/id/28911668/page/11), like the Reebok Linebacker ad of 2003, the infamous Apple 1984 masterpiece and the Pepsi Security ad of 1996. Each of those were both memorable and engaging for various reasons.
I thought I would choose my favourites and form a poll around them, to see to what extent you agree, especially as I am bringing a British perspective to the content.
To get into my best list, the advert had to do four main things:
1. Grab my attention instantly
2. Be engaging, thought provoking or entertaining
3. Leave an imprint in my consciousness
4. Must stand out above the rest!
It wasn’t easy choosing the best from nearly 40 adverts, with many of them so well made, but I managed it in the end. The worst ones were easy!!
My TOP 7 BEST adverts were:
1. Whole Again (a moving rendition of of something that affects the lives of everyone)
2. Scientology (whether one likes the cult or not, the advert was superbly done)
3. Pistachios (gangnam style winning over again in a visually effective piece)
4. Go Daddy (one would not ever forget the incongruous nature of this advert!)
5. Kia: The Space Babies (high on cute factor)
6. Budlight -2nd Quarter (Stevie Wonder was ace!)
7. Fast and Furious (high on buzz factor)
My TOP 5 WORST Adverts were:
1. E*Trade (babies and money just don’t mix; there’s something gross and disturbing about it)
2. Gildan Activewear (nothing new here)
3. Prudential (pretty bland and boring, considering its intended audience)
4. Taco Bell (seniors growing older disgracefully it is NOT!)
5. Oz: The Great and Powerful (Not enough to whet the appetite)
All of my chosen adverts left an imprint, one way or another. But what were your choices?
If you do choose ‘Other’ please leave a comment to tell us what it is. In this way we can appreciate one another’s tastes.
New Jersey.com: Superbowl 2013 Commercials http://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2013/02/super_bowl_2013_commercials_wa.html#incart_river
New Jersey.com: Superbowl Commercials 2013: The good, the bad and the plain weird. http://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2013/02/super_bowl_commercials_2013_th.html