Many relationships suffer from both parties allowing the routine home responsibilities to overwhelm their love life; being too busy to nurture their love and to make time for each other. This is most noticeable among people who have been together for a long time. They tend to take each other for granted and, over the years, the little loving acts tend to go by the wayside, drying up like prunes in much need of water.
On a rainy day, when outdoor activities are restricted, it is the perfect time for couples to make positive use of the time and affirm each other, to rediscover themselves and their courtship days. To renew their interest in each other, to make that time to share activities together and to simply bask in the sheer joy of each other's company, especially if there are no children around. The main thing to remember about these rainy days is that they shouldn't be rushed. They are there to be enjoyed, slowly.
There are 12 great activities that can be done on a rainy day, listed in reverse order of enjoyment and importance.
12. Play the rain at its own game and have a walk in it. Splash like children together, hand in hand, while you do a take of Fred Astaire's 'Singing in the Rain' with your umbrellas, then come together and share a massive kiss while the raindrops fall on your faces.
11. Clear out a room or a garage that you have been meaning to do for ages. Doesn't matter what it is as long as you both do it. Every now and then stop and throw something at each other, or reminisce every time you find something that tells a sentimental story of your relationship. When you fancy a break, have a few kisses, with a few words of endearment before you continue.
10. Play some board games like Scrabble, Monopoly or chess with your partner. This actiity is a real favourite with me. I love to play Scrabble on the computer with my boyfriend because I tend to win! I have a special strategy I use. As we have to sit closely near the computer, while he is trying to focus I lean against him, start nuzzling his neck, playing with his hair and generally distracting him playfully to give me greater advantage! It never fails to work.
9. Get a couple of favourite movies to see. Two films will satisfy both choices. Make sure you have your coke, coffee, popcorn and a duvet cover where you can either stretch out on the sofa close together or on the floor in any position and watch to your heart's content, while you feed each other with food.
8. Improve your memory or do some IQ tests online. The great thing about doing memory tests together is that you're not only improving your skills, but you can also test each other out and turn it into a fun game at the same time where losing carries loving penalties which can be enjoyed during the game or after you're finished.
7. Have a meal in bed (breakfast or lunch?), no matter what the time is. It's very romantic, conversation comes very easily at such times, it has a very cosy feeling and you can always snuggle back down after breakfast and add other activities to it!
6. Select some of your favourite records and simply relax hugging together and listening to them. Better still, dance together, waltz up close and look into each other's eyes. Rediscover why you fell in love, and just boogey yourselves silly.
5. Have a romantic dinner for two with all the trimmings: candles, the best dinner set, dress to impress and soft music in the background. Relive those earlier dates.
4. Leave little loving notes hidden around the house/apartment for each other to find. Notes must be sincere and varied, showing your appreciation and gratitude to have the other person in your life. "I love you" is a must, but try to be less predictable and creative. Every time a not is found it carries a reward!
3. Play strip poker and make up the rules as you go along, so that neither of you knows what will happen next! The loser has to run a bath where you can both bask naked together amidst the bubbles.
2. Pamper each other as much as possible in all sorts of ways. Give a body massage, a shoulder or foot massage. Wash each other's hair or lather each other very slowly, enjoying the touch of each other's skin.
1. Have a pillow fight which goes from room to room then you can both collapse in whichever place it feels natural to stop. Wherever the pillow fight ends, that's where you make glorious love together. Spend as much time as possible basking in each other's arms and enjoying one another in an appreciative way.
Discover yourself and your partner in the most attentive way possible and make this rainy day one to remember. Better still, make it the start of the rest of your life so that from then on, every day, rain or shine, will be treated like a rainy day: full of love, joy and mutually enjoyable activities.
Elaine Sihera (Ms CYPRAH)
Emotional Health Consultant
"Respect and love begin with the self. If we have none, how can we give away any?"